Recipe adapted from epicurious.com
½ Granny Smith, Cripps Pink, or other sweet-tart apple
½ small head green or red cabbage (regular, Napa, or Savoy), shredded or sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (regular or Meyer)
¼ cup pecans
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons sugar (regular or brown)
Salt to taste
- Cut apple into ½-inch cubes and very thinly slice enough cabbage to measure 3 cups.
- In a bowl toss together apple, cabbage, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- In a small skillet, toast pecans in butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally—around 5–7 minutes or until fragrant.
- Sprinkle sugar and salt to taste over pecans and cook, stirring frequently, until pecans are coated, about 1 minute.
- Remove skillet from heat and cool pecans slightly.
- Add pecans with butter in skillet to cabbage mixture and toss to combine well.
- Season slaw with salt to taste.
Serves 2. Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, 10–15 minutes.