Recipe by The FruitGuys
1 head of Romanesco broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 bunch of kale, rinsed, stems removed and coarsely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons (½ of a stick) butter, room temperature
½ teaspoon dried tarragon
6½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups (packed) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and tarragon; sauté 1 minute.
- Add chopped broccoli and kale; sauté for 5 minutes until kale starts to wilt.
- Add stock and bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Mix remaining 2 tablespoons butter with flour in small bowl to make paste.
- Whisk paste into soup.
- Simmer until soup thickens and broccoli is tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- You can either serve this immediately with shredded cheddar cheese or preheat broiler and place 6 ovenproof soup bowls on baking sheet. Divide soup among bowls. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over each. Broil until cheese melts and bubbles around edges, about 4 minutes.
Serves 6. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 20-25 minutes.
Cook's note: Regular broccoli can be substituted for Romanesco broccoli.