Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups peeled, seeded, and cubed winter squash
1 cup broccoli, cut into 1/2 inch florets
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
4 cups water
2 cups kale, chopped
1 15 ounce can of cannellini, kidney, or pinto beans
- Warm the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add squash, broccoli, oregano, salt, pepper, and water, and cook for 8 minutes until the vegetables are nearly tender.
- Add kale and beans and simmer for 5–7 minutes until kale is tender.
- Serve immediately with a fresh loaf of bread warmed in the oven. Serves 3–4.