Courtesy of Delilah’s Farm Report
1 cup brown rice
2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon finely grated turmeric (peel the turmeric with the side of a teaspoon, then grate on a microplane)
1/2 cup broccoli, broken into florets
1/2 small onion, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
2 bok choy, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup savoy cabbage, sliced about 1 inch thick
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 cup broth (vegetable or chicken)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Bring all ingredients except rice to a boil.
- Add the rice, and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 40–45 minutes.
- Check after 30 minutes. If necessary, add more liquid.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the broth and set aside.
- Heat oil, over high heat, in a wok or heavy sauté pan. Add broccoli and onions and stir fry for about a minute. Add the bok choy and cabbage and stir-fry for another minute. Add garlic and stir-fry for about 20 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch/broth mixture, and stir until sauce is thickened and coats the veggies.
- Pour over the rice and serve.
Serves 4. Prep time, 15 minutes; cooking time, 45 minutes.