By Delilah’s Farm Report
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup dried yellow split peas
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
hot sauce to taste (optional)
1 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add garlic, oregano, thyme, split peas and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are tender, but still hold their shape. This can take between 30 and 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add lemon zest, salt and lemon juice.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Puree in a food processor, blender or with a potato masher. Taste for seasonings. Add more salt if necessary and hot sauce if you like a kick.
- Put in serving bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve with pita chips and veggies, or spread on toasted bread.
Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 30 – 45 minutes; makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com