Courtesy of Delilah’s Farm
1 cup very coarsely chopped plums
1 cup very coarsely chopped nectarines
1 cup grapes, cut in half
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup agave nectar
8 slices white or egg bread, crusts removed
Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
- Heat fruit, orange juice, and agave nectar in a saucepan until fruit just releases its juice, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Line 4 custard cups or muffin tin cups with plastic wrap, and press one slice of bread into each cup (if using custard cups, place them on a small tray or baking sheet).
- Fill with fruit and juice so it forms a mound on top, reserving about 1/2 cup of juice.
- Top with a round of bread cut just slightly larger than the top of the muffin cup.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place something flat over each, either 4 small plates or a cutting board or plate large enough to cover all 4.
- Add weight to the top to press the fruit down (a can of soup works well) and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove plastic wrap from the top and invert custard cups (or muffin tin) onto a plate, using the plastic wrap that lined the cups to ease the cake out.
- Remove plastic wrap and drizzle with the reserved juice.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream (optional).
Serves 4. Prep time, 30 minutes; cook time, 2–3 minutes.