Adapted from bettycrocker.com
4 medium apples, sliced—around 4 cups (see Cook’s note)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Heavy cream or ice cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with butter or shortening.
- Toss apples with lemon juice and granulated sugar, and spread in pan.
- In medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients (except cream) until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, continue baking until topping is golden brown and apples are fork-tender—another 15–25 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream or drizzled with heavy cream if desired.
Serves 4–6. Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, around 45-55 minutes.
Cook’s note: Medium-tart, firm apples are preferable, but any apples will work.