Adapted from a-gitate.blogspot.com
1 Hachiya Persimmon (about 1 cup persimmon pulp)
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 stick (4 tablespoon) butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 large egg (or 1 small egg)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries (optional)
- Wash persimmon, discard stem, puree in food processor until smooth (with or without skin – your preference.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift flour, soda, spices together.
- In a larger bowl, with electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until well mixed (about 2 minutes.)
- Beat in egg, then fold in persimmon pulp.
- Stir in flour mixture, making a soft dough.
- Mix in walnuts and cranberries if using.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 1–2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet/parchment paper.
- Bake 15–20 minutes or until lightly brown, rotating baking sheet halfway through.
Cook’s note: Make sure the Hachiya persimmon is ripe before using it in this recipe. Wait until it is custard-soft, with a jelly-like consistency.