Recipe by Tanya Milosevich
4 apples (any combination), cored and cut in eight slices
2 pears (ripe, but not too soft), cored and cut in eight slices
½ cup sugar, divided
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter
⅓ cup milk
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss apples and pears with ¼ cup sugar and place in a buttered baking dish.
- Mix together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cube the cold butter, add to flour, and mix with knives or a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add milk and stir briefly until just mixed.
- Spoon mixture over fruit (sprinkle on walnuts now if using) and bake in oven on lowest rack for 45–50 minutes or until fruit is fork-tender.
Cook’s note: Recipe may be cut in half.
Serves 4. Prep time, 15–20 minutes; cook time, 45–50 minutes.