Recipe by Non-Reactive Pan, clarosouthwick.com/blog
1 pound green beans (and/or yellow), tips cut off
Olive oil to drizzle over cooked beans
Salt and pepper to taste
Options to toss with beans:
1/2–1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
2 tablespoons shallots, minced
1 tablespoon sliced almonds
1 tablespoon capers (drained)
- Bring an inch or 2 of water to boil in a 4-quart pot (or other medium-large pot).
- Put green beans in a steamer basket or metal colander and set over boiling water (beans may be placed directly in water if you don’t have a steamer basket).
- Partially cover the pan, leaving space for a little steam to escape, and steam or boil until beans are tender but still crisp—around 3–5 minutes for boiling; 5–7 minutes for steaming, depending on thickness of beans. Do not overcook.
- Remove beans from pot and rinse under cold water for one minute. Drain well.
- Put beans in a large, shallow bowl and squeeze the lemon over them.
- Drizzle some olive oil on top, and sprinkle on salt, pepper, and any optional toppings.
Serves 4. Prep time, 5 minutes; cook time, 20 minutes.
Cook’s note: Serve alongside grilled salmon or any other grilled main dish you like.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com