Courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
1 & 1/2 lbs. root vegetables (such as turnips, carrots or beets), shredded with a grater or in a food processor
1 onion, grated
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
4-6 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
Soy sauce or Tamari
- Toss together the cabbage, roots & onion.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the milk, egg, flour and salt.
- Add to veggies and stir.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy pan over medium-low heat.
- Grab 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time and shape into small, flat pancakes.
- Add to the pan.
- If the heat is right, the latkes should sizzle gently, but not too loudly.
- Fry on one side until browned and warmed through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn and cook on the other side.
- Add more oil as needed. As you remove the latkes, place them on a paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Serve hot with tamari or soy sauce and wasabi and enjoy!
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com