Courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
1/2 loaf day-old sourdough or baguette (or other bread)
2 tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3-4 small cucumbers, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1-3 sweet peppers seeded, and cut thin strips
- Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes.
- Set aside.
- Mix together in a bowl the tomatoes, EVOO, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix bread cubes, cucumbers, onions and peppers.
- Ladle the tomato mixture over the bread, stirring gently as you go to mix liquids in.
- Set the dish aside at room temperature or in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- If the dish seems too dry, sprinkle on more oil and vinegar.
- Panzanella can be made a day ahead. Serves 6.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com