Adapted from greekfood.about.com
1 pound of fresh string beans (yellow or green), trimmed
2–3 medium zucchini
1 onion (medium or large), chopped
1–2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups tomato, finely diced
1/2 cup water (more as needed)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
Feta cheese (optional)
- Keep beans whole or cut/break in half. Slice zucchini into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan or skillet; sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until onion has softened (around 5–7 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes and water, then add beans, zucchini, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 30 minutes or until beans are tender and mixture is stew-like.
- Stir in lemon juice if using and add more salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with feta cheese on the side.
Serves 4–6. Prep time, 30 minutes; cook time, 1 hour.