1 head of cauliflower, cleaned and cut into florets
1–2 shallots, minced and sautéed in olive oil until crisp
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4–1/2 teaspoon freshly grated horseradish
3/4 cup water or cooking liquid
Salt to taste
- Cook florets in boiling water until just tender.
- Remove florets from water, and reserve cooking liquid.
- Put about half the cooked florets into a food processor along with 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Pulse until just pureed.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the remaining florets, 1 tablespoon olive oil, the horseradish, and 1/4 cup more cooking liquid.
- Pulse again until smooth.
Mix in the crispy shallots and serve.
Serves 4. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 12 minutes.
Cook’s note: Pureed cauliflower is delicious with a green salad, portobello mushroom burgers, roasted meats, and more.