Courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
1 butternut squash (about 1.5 lbs), peeled, halved, seeded & cut into
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, diced
2 cups broth or water
1 tablespoon butter or peanut oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon dried ground ginger or 2 inches fresh ginger, grated
Salt & red pepper flakes to taste
1 bunch greens, de-stemmed and chopped
Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
Plain yogurt or sour cream for serving (optional)
- Heat oil or butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, fennel seeds & coriander and cook about 1 minute.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, salt and pepper flakes to taste and squash chunks.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes, then add greens
- Add the chopped greens at about 10 minutes and cook for remaining 5 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, yogurt & sour cream, over rice or other grain.