Courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
1 bunch of turnips, scrubbed trimmed & sliced in ¼–inch rounds
½ cup rice or white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt + more to taste
water to cover
¼ cup sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- If turnips are tough, peel before slicing. Combine sugar, salt and vinegar in a medium-sized bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add turnips and add water to cover.
- Stir to combine. Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove the turnips from the liquid, add toasted sesame seeds and toss.
- Serve over noodles or rice or alongside another dish.
Serves 3–4. Cook time, 25 minutes.