Recipe by The FruitGuys
3–4 cups sweet potatoes or yams, scrubbed and thinly sliced, about 1/8-inch thick (peels optional)
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup green onion, chopped (optional)
3/4 1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4–1 cup Gruyère, Parmesan, or Cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup cream, half and half, or milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon horseradish, freshly grated (optional)
A pinch or two of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter or oil a medium-size casserole dish.
- Heat olive oil to medium-high in a pan, add sliced (regular) onion, and sauté for 5 minutes or until just starting to soften.
- Spread half the onions in the bottom of the casserole dish, followed by half of the sliced sweet potato, then repeat.
- Mix cheese, cream/milk, green onion and/or horseradish (if using), and seasonings together, and pour evenly over dish.
- Cover with foil, and bake 30–40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft when pierced with a knife.
- Remove foil, increase heat to 425°F, and bake until the top is slightly browned—another 5–10 minutes (or longer, as needed).
Serves 3–4. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 45–60 minutes.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com