Adapted from The New Basics Cookbook
1–2 cups potatoes of your choice, washed well and cut in 1-inch dice (peels optional)
1 cup cauliflower florets, cut in bite-size chunks
3–4 spring onions cut into rings (or 3/4 cup regular onion, chopped)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup cream, milk, or veggie stock
2–3 tablespoons of butter (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and add potatoes to the saucepan; put florets in a steaming basket or metal colander, and place over the saucepan to steam.
- Simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes, and steam cauliflower until tender, about 10 minutes. Check both periodically until done.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onion and sauté over medium-low heat until softened, about 3–5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain potato chunks and place in a food processor with steamed cauliflower. Add cream, milk, or stock (and butter, if using). Purée until smooth, adding more or less liquid to achieve desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer purée to a saucepan and reheat over low heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Serve warm with a drizzle of olive oil on top.
Serves 3–4. Prep time, 10–15 minutes; cook time, 15 minutes.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com