Recipe by Delilah’s Farm for The FruitGuys
1 each pear and apple; peeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2–1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger (see Cook’s note)
- Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until fruit is very soft and thickening, about 13–15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, mash fruit with a potato masher or fork, or puree with a hand blender for a smoother texture.
- Return to heat and cook to jam consistency, about 5–7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- To test, place a small plate in the freezer.
- Put 1 teaspoon of jam on the plate and return to the freezer for 30 seconds. If it doesn’t run, it’s done.
- Place in a glass jar or bowl and allow to come to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Jam will keep for 1–2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Makes about 3/4 cup. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 30 minutes.
Cook’s note: Recipe may be doubled, tripled, etc. Ginger is optional but is recommended to give this jam some “zing.”
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com