Recipe by Delilah’s Farm for The FruitGuys
1 each pear and apple; peeled, cored and cut into ¾-inch chunks (about 1 ½ cups)
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½–1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger (see Cook’s note)
- Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until fruit is very soft and thickening, about 13–15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, mash fruit with a potato masher or fork, or puree with a hand blender for a smoother texture.
- Return to heat and cook to jam consistency, about 5–7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- To test, place a small plate in the freezer.
- Put 1 teaspoon of jam on the plate and return to the freezer for 30 seconds. If it doesn’t run, it’s done.
- Place in a glass jar or bowl and allow to come to room temperature before refrigerating.
- Jam will keep for 1–2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Makes about ¾ cup. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 30 minutes.
Cook’s note: Recipe may be doubled, tripled, etc. Ginger is optional but is recommended to give this jam some “zing.”