Recipe courtesy of Delilah’s Farm
1 fennel bulb
1–2 tablespoons finely diced onion or shallot
1/4 cup garlic scapes, cut into 1-inch strips; or 1 clove garlic, very thinly sliced or finely chopped
1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar (optional)
- Trim the fennel and peel off any bruised outer leaves.
- Slice fennel crosswise into 1/4 inch slices, and reserve some of the fronds for garnish.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Add fennel and sauté over medium heat until beginning to caramelize, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and continue cooking for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in vinegar (if using) and cook for 1 more minute.
- Top with about 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds.
Serves 2. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 8–10 minutes.
Cook’s note: Serve as a side dish, or toss with pasta or any cooked grains.