Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
1 pound potatoes, regular and/or sweet (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour, plus more for rolling and shaping
1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- Peel potatoes and cut into large, equally sized pieces. B
- ake or steam until tender. If baking, toss with a drizzle of olive oil, place on a baking sheet, and bake at 350°F until tender.
- Once potatoes are well cooked, use a ricer (or hand-mash) to yield about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.
- Place mashed potatoes in a large mixing bowl, and stir in the egg and flour (1/2 cup at a time) until a soft dough forms.
- You may not need all the flour to create a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a square.
- Divide the square into 8 equal pieces.
- Using your hands, roll each piece on the floured surface creating a long rope (about 1/2 thick).
- Lightly sprinkle on more flour as needed to keep from sticking. Cut each rope into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the gnocchi, stir, and let cook until they float to the surface like little pillows, then strain or pull them out with a slotted spoon.
- Season gnocchi with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, and stir in your favorite marinara sauce and/or sautéed vegetables.
Serves 4–6 as an entrée. Prep time, 30 minutes; cook time, roughly 30 minutes.