Adapted from simplyrecipes.com
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks or slices
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup almonds and/or walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, toss to combine fruit, lemon juice, and vanilla, then place in a small baking dish.
- Combine oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until evenly distributed.
- Cover fruit with the oat mixture, and sprinkle nuts on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping looks crunchy. Note: if topping is browning too quickly, loosely cover baking dish with a piece of tin foil until apples are tender.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice cream on the side (optional).
Serves 4. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 45 minutes.
Cook’s note: This recipe can be doubled to accommodate more fruit, including pears if you have them on hand.