Adapted from simplyrecipes.com
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks or slices
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup almonds and/or walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, toss to combine fruit, lemon juice, and vanilla, then place in a small baking dish.
- Combine oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until evenly distributed.
- Cover fruit with the oat mixture, and sprinkle nuts on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping looks crunchy. Note: if topping is browning too quickly, loosely cover baking dish with a piece of tin foil until apples are tender.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice cream on the side (optional).
Serves 4. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 45 minutes.
Cook’s note: This recipe can be doubled to accommodate more fruit, including pears if you have them on hand.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com