Recipe by Delilah’s Farm for The FruitGuys
1 cup cooked pinto or black beans (canned are OK)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup onion, in 1/4-inch dice
1 clove garlic, finely minced
4 corn tortillas
Cheddar or jack cheese, sour cream, chopped red or green onion, cilantro, salsa or hot sauce
1 1/2 cups cabbage, cut into short strips, 1/4-inch thick
1/2 cup grated carrot
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (red, white, or green)
1 teaspoon orange zest
Juice of 1/2 orange
2 tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Toss together cabbage, carrot, and onion. Whisk together the rest of the ingredients and toss with the vegetables to taste.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onion is soft, about 3–4 minutes.
- Add beans and heat through. If using whole beans, mash with a fork.
- While beans are cooking, heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Cut avocado vertically in 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Spread 1/4 cup of beans onto each tortilla.
- Top each with 1/4 of the avocado, 1/4 cup of citrus slaw and any of the optional toppings.
Serves 4. Prep time—15 minutes for taco prep, 10 minutes for citrus slaw; cook time, 5–7 minutes.