Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
2 large or 4 small leeks, cut into thin rounds (white parts only)
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
2 tablespoons white wine
1 cup heavy cream or whole milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
9-inch pastry pie shell cooked according to package directions
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Clean thinly sliced leeks in a bowl of water, making sure to remove all sand and dirt.
- Sauté leeks in a heavy bottomed skillet with oil or butter.
- Sauté for 2 minutes then add the white wine, cover skillet with a lid, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together eggs, cream or milk, and salt.
- Place cooked leeks evenly on the bottom of the pastry crust and pour egg mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.
Serves 6 as an entrée. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 40 minutes.