Recipe by The FruitGuys
Potatoes (regular or sweet), well scrubbed
Butter or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
(See Cook’s note for extras)
- Grate potatoes with a food processor or by hand.
- Using dish towels or paper towels, squeeze excess moisture out of grated potatoes. (To remove excess starch, grated potatoes can also be soaked in cold water first, then drained well before squeezing.)
- Heat a large, heavy skillet to medium-high, adding enough butter or oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- When pan is hot, add grated potatoes in a thin layer (not more than 1/2-inch thick), gently press flat with a spatula, and lightly salt and pepper.
- Let potatoes cook until well-browned on the bottom; divide into quarters and flip, adding a little more butter or oil under each portion before returning to pan.
- Continue cooking until both sides are golden brown. Serve hot.
Yields approximately 1 large or 2 small servings per cup of grated potatoes. Prep time, 5–10 minutes; cook time, approximately 10–12 minutes.
Cook’s note: Experiment with adding different extras to shredded potatoes before cooking, such as minced onion, bell pepper, or chopped fresh herbs. A pinch or 2 of cayenne pepper also gives them a little zing. To add grated cheese (cheddar is nice), sprinkle on desired amount about a minute before hash browns are done cooking.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com