Recipe by Delilah’s Farm for The FruitGuys
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup onion or shallot, in 1/4-inch dice
1–2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
4 cups hearty greens (kale, chard, spinach, collards, etc.), coarsely chopped
4 cups slightly stale bread cut into 1-inch cubes (you can use any kind of bread, but if using a really dense bread you may need to add 1 egg and 1/2 cup of milk to the egg/milk mixture)
5 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add greens and cook until wilted, stirring often, about 3–5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg.
- Place 1/2 of the bread in the bottom of an 8-cup baking dish that has been brushed with olive oil or melted butter.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over this.
- Top with the cooked greens and 1/2 of the grated cheese.
- Put the rest of the bread on top and pour the rest of the egg mixture over it.
- Press it down so that the bread absorbs the egg mixture.
- Set aside for about 30 minutes so the bread soaks up the egg mixture.
- Top with the rest of the cheese and bake until top is lightly browned and it’s cooked through, about 35–40 minutes.
- To test, insert a sharp knife into the center. It should come out clean.
Serves 4. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 35–40 minutes.