Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (see Cook’s note)
6 tablespoons melted butter, divided
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed sweet potato with 4 tablespoons of melted butter. In another bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the sweet potatoes and with a spoon or spatula, mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add milk to the sweet potato mixture and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Roll dough out into a 3/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 10 biscuits.
- Brush biscuits with remaining melted butter and place on lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven until biscuits begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
Makes 10 biscuits. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 20 minutes.
Cook’s note: To mash sweet potatoes for this recipe, scrub and peel sweet potatoes and cut into large, evenly sized chunks. Either steam or boil until fork-tender (15–25 minutes depending on size of chunks and cooking method). Puree in a food processor or hand-mash using a potato-ricer.