Adapted from thekitchn.com
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Watermelon radishes, 1 large or 2 small (can also substitute regular radishes)
Hearty greens, 1 medium bunch (collards, kale, chard, or mature spinach), about 6–8 cups chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons toasted pumpkin seed oil (if unavailable, try walnut, almond, or toasted sesame oil)
1 teaspoon lemon juice or white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh basil or parsley; chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (or 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts)
- Ahead of time: In a medium bowl, combine white wine vinegar, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Thinly slice the radish using a mandoline or chef’s knife, add to the bowl, and stir to combine, making sure the slices are well coated.
- Let stand at least 30 minutes or refrigerate up to a day before serving.
- While radishes are marinating, wash greens well and shake or pat off excess water.
- Discard any thick/coarse stems (chard stems are delicious chopped and sautéed with onion and seasonings).
- Slice leaves crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide ribbons or bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, pumpkin seed oil, lemon juice, thyme, a generous grind of black pepper, and a little salt.
- Add greens and use your hands to massage the dressing into the leaves until they soften and wilt (about 5 minutes).
- Drain the radishes. Toss with the greens, OR arrange radish slices on individual plates and place the kale on top.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds (or pine nuts) and serve.
Serves 4. Prep time, 30 minutes (includes marinating radishes).
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com