Recipe by Delilah’s Farm for The FruitGuys
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced carrot
2 tablespoons diced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
2/3 cup rye berries
1 3/4 cups vegetable stock or water
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium-size saucepan.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano, and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add rye berries and stock or water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer over medium low heat until rye berries are tender, but not mushy, about 50–60 minutes.
- Check after 45 minutes. If mixture seems too dry (consistency should be similar to any cooked grain), add a bit more liquid.
- Add cheese, fluff with a fork, and serve.
Serves 3–4. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Cook’s note: This is an excellent side dish. But, by adding about 1 cup of cooked and diced protein of your choice, such as beans, tofu, or chicken, it will be a complete meal.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com