Recipe by The FruitGuys
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons lavender buds
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter cut in small pieces
Sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease an 8-inch-diameter cake pan and set aside.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon peel, lavender, and baking soda in large bowl to blend.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Using fingertips to mix ingredients together until coarse crumbs form.
- Gradually stir in the buttermilk, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Using floured hands, shape dough into ball.
- Transfer to prepared pan and flatten slightly. Cut a cross shape in top of dough.
- Sprinkle dough with sugar.
- Bake bread until brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan 10 minutes.
Enjoy with a fresh pot of tea and your favorite fruit preserve.