Recipe by Delilah’s Farm for The FruitGuys
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 and 1/3 cups buttermilk, almond milk, or soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1 cup cooked barley berries (see Cook’s note)
1 cup peeled/cored apple, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, honey, milk, and extract.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a wooden spoon or spatula. Don’t over mix. There may be small lumps, which is OK.
- Gently fold in the barley berries and apple.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat until a few drops of cold water “dance” across the griddle when dripped on.
- Pour about 1/2 cup batter for each pancake on the griddle.
- When the edges appear dry and there are bubbles across the top, flip.
- Cook on second side for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Serve with citrus maple syrup:
Citrus Maple Syrup
Zest of 1 orange
Juice of 1 orange
3/4 cup maple syrup
- Place juice in a small saucepan and reduce over high heat by half, about 3–4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the zest and maple syrup.
Pancake recipe serves 4. Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, 60 minutes.
Cook’s note: To cook the barley berries, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup barley berries and return to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until tender; about 45–50 minutes.
You can cheat and use your favorite pancake mix. Prepare as per package instructions, and then fold in the barley berries and apples. Use leftover cooked barley berries in soups, salads or sauté with onions and garlic for a tasty side dish.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com