Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
2 small zucchinis or summer squash, grated (about 1 cup)
2 small leeks, thinly sliced or 1/2 onion, minced
1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
12 eggs beaten
1/4 cup olive oil or milk
1/4 cup fresh chives or herbs such as parsley, basil, dill, or thyme
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese or feta
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 °F and line a muffin tin with paper liners. Or lightly grease a non-stick muffin tin and there’s no need for paper liners.
- Squeeze most liquid from grated zucchini with a thin kitchen towel, cheesecloth, or paper towels.
- Wash leeks well, making sure to remove all sand and dirt and slice the white ends into 1/8-inch rounds.
- Chop mushrooms into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Place veggies into each muffin cup in the muffin tin.
- Add milk or olive oil to the egg mixture, plus the herbs, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Now pour egg mixture into the 12 muffin cups, dividing it evenly.
- Generously sprinkle each uncooked muffin with cheese and pop in the oven to cook for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown on top.
Makes 12 muffins. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 30 minutes.