Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
1 pound fresh fava beans
1 head green garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal, about 1/8-inch thick
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons water or white wine
1–2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
2 tablespoons minced fresh herb such as parsley, basil, cilantro, or dill
2 cups cooked brown rice (follow directions on the box)
Parmesan cheese, pepper, and more salt to taste
- Shell fava beans.
- Place in a pot of salted, boiling water and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove favas and place in a colander and rinse under cold water for a few moments.
- Once cooled, peel off the thin white outer shell to reveal the smooth bright green fava bean.
- Over medium-low heat, sauté green garlic in a skillet with olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add kale, salt, and water or wine, mix well to evenly cook the kale until tender and most of the liquid dissipates, about 4 minutes.
- Combine favas, kale mixture, and carrots with balsamic, and minced herbs in a bowl.
- Adjust salt and olive oil seasoning and toss well. Serve over brown rice. Top with freshly ground pepper and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Serves 4 as a hearty side dish. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 7 minutes.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com