Recipe adapted from marthastewart.com
2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
1 large or 2 small carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons butter (more or less to taste)
- Place potatoes, carrots, and garlic in a medium saucepan.
- Cover with water. Add a large pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until completely tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain vegetables, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Put cooked veggies in a medium-sized mixing bowl (preferably heated), add milk and butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Mash until smooth, adding some or all of reserved cooking liquid to achieve desired consistency.
Serves 2–3 as a side dish. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 20 minutes.