Adapted from smittenkitchen.com, courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
3 cups chopped broccoli (including peeled stems)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup grated hard cheese
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt, pepper and red chili flakes to taste
Butter or other high-heat oil for cooking
- Steam broccoli in steamer basket or 1 inch of water, covered, until just tender– about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine egg, flour, cheese, garlic and seasonings.
- Roughly grind broccoli in cuisine art or mash with a potato masher.
- Add broccoli to flour and egg mixture and combine.
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil and heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons batter at a time, flattening with a spatula or spoon as you go.
- Cook fritters 2-3 minutes on a side, until lightly browned.
- Once cooked on both sides, place on a plate covered with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Add oil to pan as needed. Serve hot.
Yields 8–9 fritters (2 to 2 1/2 inches each). Prep time, 10–15 minutes; cook time, 10–15 minutes.