Adapted from seriouseats.com
1 bunch asparagus, cut ends snapped off
1–2 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari sauce
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
2 drops chili oil (or a pinch cayenne powder)
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds (toasted if preferred)
- Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces on the diagonal.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Cook asparagus 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain and place in ice bath for 3 minutes.
- Drain and gently pat asparagus dry.
- In a bowl, combine scallions (if using) with soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili oil (or cayenne).
- Add asparagus and toss to combine.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Serves 2. Prep time, 5 minutes; cook time, 10–15 minutes.