Recipe for The FruitGuys by Rebecca Dienner
4 cups fresh spinach, well-washed, de-stemmed, and roughly chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can crushed tomatoes (32-ounce)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup mushrooms, sliced about 1/8-inch thick (optional)
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
1 tablespoon each of fresh oregano, fresh parsley, and fresh thyme, minced (if fresh is unavailable, use 1 teaspoon each of dried, and add in with the tomatoes)
1 box no-boil lasagna noodles (9-ounce)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (see Cook’s note for vegan option)
1 container ricotta cheese (15-ounce)
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- To make the sauce: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Deglaze pan with 1/4 cup red wine.
- Add canned tomato and tomato paste.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon salt, lower heat, and cook sauce for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add fresh herbs and adjust salt to taste. Remove from heat and let cool.
- If using mushrooms: In a fresh skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir frequently and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, stir egg in with ricotta, remaining salt, and lemon zest.
- Place about 1/4 cup tomato sauce to lightly cover the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan or dish.
- Lay lasagna noodles down to cover the bottom, then add a layer of the ricotta mixture, half of the spinach, and half of the mushrooms (if using).
- Repeat starting with another 1/4 cup marinara, noodles, ricotta, spinach, and mushrooms.
- Add a final layer of noodles, the rest of the sauce, and cover with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- (If doing the vegan version, you may leave the top with just the marinara, or if there’s extra “ricotta,” distribute it evenly on top as best you can.
- Cover loosely with tinfoil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove tinfoil and bake for another 10 minutes or until bubbly and just starting to brown.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Serves 6–8 as a main dish. Prep time, 30 minutes; cook time, 45 minutes.
Cook’s note: For vegan option, omit egg and cheese.
- Boil 1/2 cup raw cashews in 2 cups of water until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Drain cashews and blend in a high-speed blender with 1/4 cup lemon juice until mostly smooth.
- Crumble and mash 14 ounces of firm tofu in a bowl.
- Mix in 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, zest of one lemon, and blended cashews.
- Use in place of ricotta cheese in this recipe.