Recipe by The FruitGuys
4–5 cups collard greens (or other hearty greens), stems removed and coarsely chopped
1/2–3/4 cup garlic scapes, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pecans or pistachio nuts (you may try other nuts too, but these pair really nicely with the garlic scapes)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash greens well.
- Blanch or steam greens for 1 minute, or until leaves just start to wilt.
- Remove from heat and immediately rinse in cold water and drain.
- Gently blot or squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Add wilted greens to a food processor with all other ingredients.
- Process until smooth, adding an additional bit of olive oil or water as necessary.
- Pesto should be thick but just pourable.
Yields 1–1 1/2 cups. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 1 minute.