Recipe by The FruitGuys
1 head of radicchio
Salad greens, 5–6 cups loosely packed
Segments from 2 tangerines or 1 sweet orange
1 large shallot or 2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil (plus more to brush on radicchio)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar (optional, if a sweeter dressing is preferred)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine shallots or garlic, thyme (if using), olive oil, vinegar, honey or agave (if using), salt, and pepper in a food processor (or shake well in an air-tight container to emulsify).
- While dressing marinates, preheat grill (outdoor or stovetop) to medium-high.
- Cut radicchio into quarters, trying to keep each section in one piece, and brush sections with olive oil.
- If using an outdoor grill, you may need a grill basket if leaves are loose.
- Grill radicchio quarters, turning occasionally, until the outside leaves start to brown, about 3–5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and roughly chop.
- In a large salad bowl, toss fresh salad greens with enough dressing to lightly coat.
- Separate onto 2 plates and top with equal portions of warm grilled arugula and citrus segments.
Makes 2 large salads. Prep time, 10–15 minutes; cook time, 5 minutes.