Adapted from World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey, courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
3-4 small to medium summer squash
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and cut into fine half rings
1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
About 30 fresh basil leaves, torn in pieces
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped or torn (optional)
1 pound penne pasta
Freshly ground black pepper
4-6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- Halve the summer squash lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4 inch-thick slices.
- Heat oil over medium heat in large frying pan or sauté pan .
- Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the summer squash, stir and cook for another 5 minutes or until soft.
- Taste for salt, adding more only if it is needed.
- Add the stock, stir once or twice, and turn off the heat.
- Add the basil and mint (if using) leaves and toss.
- Cook and drain pasta according to package instructions.
- Add the squash mixture, black pepper, and cheese, if desired.
- Toss to mix and serve immediately. Serves 4