Recipe by FarmShares member Martha S., courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
1 1/2 cups corn cut from the cob (3 ears or so)
3 gypsy peppers, seeded and diced
2 large jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced (optional)
2 large yellow onions, chopped
3 or 4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 stick + 1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1 teaspoon salt & 1/2 teaspoon. ground black pepper
- Prepare produce and cheese keeping each separate, and set aside.
- Mix cornmeal and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon each butter and EVOO; add onion and sauté until almost transparent.
- Add peppers and sauté another minute; add garlic and stir for 30 seconds or so.
- Add corn and cook another minute.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Add grated cheese, cilantro, salt and pepper to the cornmeal and baking soda and fluff with fork.
- Beat eggs in a bowl with buttermilk and melted butter.
- Add to dry ingredients along with the sautéed vegetables in the skillet.
- Mix only until dry ingredients are incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Pour into a well buttered baking dish and bake at 350 farenheit for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- This recipe is fantastic served with grilled fish and fresh sliced tomatoes.