Adapted from kitchenscraps.ca
2 cups cucumbers, sliced in spears or 1/4-inch rounds or long slices
1/4 cup fresh dill, about 3–4 sprigs (fresh oregano or basil may also be used)
1–2 cloves garlic, minced (suggested, but optional)
¼ cup thinly sliced onion (suggested, but optional)
1 pinch to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and/or peppercorns (optional)
3/4 cup apple cider or white vinegar
3/4 cup water
1–2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
- Bring all ingredients for the brine to a boil until the sugar and salt dissolve. Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Place the cucumber slices in a large heatproof bowl or jar(s).
- Add dill (or fresh herb of choice), garlic and/or onion slices, and/or pepper (optional).
- Pour the brine directly over the cucumbers to cover.
- Wrap the bowl tightly in plastic wrap or put the lid on if you’re using a jar, and allow the pickles to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- The pickles will be good to eat in an hour and will last in the fridge for 2–3 weeks.
Makes about 1 pint. Prep time, 5–10 minutes; cook time, 15 minutes.
Cook’s note: Recipe may be doubled, tripled, etc., as quantities allow.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com