Recipe by Non-Reactive Pan, clarosouthwick.com/blog
3 beets, peeled, greens removed, cut into eighths
2 shallots or 1 small onion, cut into quarters or 1/2-inch wedges
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 orange, supremed (see Cook’s note)
Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the beets and shallot/onion wedges on a rimmed baking sheet or in a baking dish large enough to allow space between the pieces.
- Mix together the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper, and pour over the veggies, making sure to coat all sides.
- Roast veggies in the oven for 40 minutes, or until fork tender, turning the beets every 10 minutes or so.
- In a large bowl, mix together the warm beets with the fresh orange segments. Sprinkle with seeds or nuts if using.
Serves 3–4 as a side salad. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 40 minutes.
Cook’s note: “Supreming” citrus means to cut away the peel and pith, and slice the juicy segments from in between the membrane.