Recipe by Non-Reactive Pan, clarosouthwick.com/blog
3 beets, peeled, greens removed, cut into eighths
2 shallots or 1 small onion, cut into quarters or 1/2-inch wedges
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 orange, supremed (see Cook’s note)
Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the beets and shallot/onion wedges on a rimmed baking sheet or in a baking dish large enough to allow space between the pieces.
- Mix together the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper, and pour over the veggies, making sure to coat all sides.
- Roast veggies in the oven for 40 minutes, or until fork tender, turning the beets every 10 minutes or so.
- In a large bowl, mix together the warm beets with the fresh orange segments. Sprinkle with seeds or nuts if using.
Serves 3–4 as a side salad. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 40 minutes.
Cook’s note: “Supreming” citrus means to cut away the peel and pith, and slice the juicy segments from in between the membrane.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com