Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FuitGuys
1½ cups whole tomatillos (about 6 medium-sized tomatillos), husked and washed well
1–3 hot peppers, depending on heat preference (such as jalapeño, Fresno, serrano, etc.), stems, seeds, and membrane removed, finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, with husks on
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
½ cup fresh cilantro, rinsed and roughly chopped
¼ cup white onion, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin spice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Set your oven to broil.
- Toss tomatillos, peppers, and garlic with vegetable oil on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Position oven rack on your second to top highest possible placement in the oven and broil the vegetables until softened, and slightly blackened, about 5–8 minutes.
- The tomatillos may release their juices, which are full of flavor.
- Remove garlic husks and place garlic cloves in a blender.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape remaining roasted vegetables and their juices into the blender.
- Add cilantro, lime juice, and cumin and blend to a coarse puree.
- Pour salsa into a bowl and mix in the chopped onion, salt, and pepper to taste.
Makes about 1 cup. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time 5–8 minutes.
Ingredients for this recipe were included in The FruitGuys TakeHome box. Order yours today! www.fruitguys.com