Adapted from World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey, courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
1 lb of zucchini, halved and cut in 1/4 inch in slices
5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and cut into fine half rings
1/4 cup vegetable stock
About 30 fresh basil leaves, torn in pieces
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped or torn (optional)
1 pound penne
Freshly ground black pepper
4-6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- Place zucchini in a bowl, add 1 tsp salt, toss, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and pat dry.
- Put oil in a large frying pan or sauté pan and set over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook about 5 minutes without browning, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and stir and cook for another 5 minutes or until soft.
- Taste for salt, adding more if needed.
- Add the stock, stir once or twice, and turn off the heat.
- Add the basil and mint leaves, (if using,) and toss. (Leave in a warm spot or reheat while the pasta is cooking).
- Cook and drain pasta according to package instructions.
- Add the squash mixture, black pepper, and cheese, if desired.
- Toss to mix and serve immediately. Serves 4.