Recipe by Delilah’s Farm for The FruitGuys
1 package of pizza dough
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of pepper
1 cup eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 medium tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch slices; or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3/4 cup grated cheese (mozzarella, fontina, or Gruyère)
1–2 tablespoons basil, cut in strips, or parsley, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500°F with a pizza stone or cast iron griddle placed on the lowest rack (you can also use a baking sheet, but reduce heat to 450°F and line it with parchment paper).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper, and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Roll out pizza dough and place it on a pizza peel sprinkled with flour or cornmeal. If you don’t have a pizza peel, use the back of a baking sheet.
- Spread onion mixture onto the dough, and place eggplant and tomato slices on top, overlapping by about half an inch.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and transfer to the hot stone or griddle in the oven.
- Bake until crust is very browned on the edges (it may look almost burnt) and cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with basil or parsley.
Serves 2. Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, 18–20 minutes.