Recipe courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
This simple stir-fry can be adapted to include most any vegetables. Cook carrots or other tougher veggies first, followed by broccoli, sugar snap peas and greens. A stir-fry like this one is great served warm but can also be set aside for lunch or eaten as a cold salad.
1-2 bunches broccoli, trimmed & chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced carrots, sugar snap peas, chopped greens
and/or other veggies
3 large cloves garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sesame oil (or other high-heat oil)
1/4 cup sesame seeds or chopped almonds
2/3 package of Soba noodles or rice noodles
- Cook noodles in salted water. Drain and set aside. Heat tablespoon of oil over medium heat and saute garlic 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms, and carrots and cook, stirring frequently, about 2 min.
- Add broccoli stems and cook another 1 min before adding florets.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cover. Cook until veggies are tender but still crunchy.
- If using sugar snap peas or english peas, add these last, about 1 min after the broccoli florets.
- Remove the lid and add the soy sauce, sugar and chilli flakes to taste. Remove from heat and add remaining sesame oil, seeds or nuts, and toss with noodles.
- Serve warm or refrigerate to serve cold later.