Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
1 pound Brussels sprouts
1–2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar or maple syrup
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Trim the base of each Brussels sprout and discard before slicing each sprout in half.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium flame. Add a thin layer of oil to the pan (just enough to evenly cover it) and lay sprouts cut side down in the skillet.
- Cook for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned (sprouts will sizzle and steam a bit).
- In the meantime, whisk the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and garlic together.
- Once the sprouts are browned, stir a few times, mixing them up, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the whisked sauce and stir the sprouts vigorously to coat them well.
- Stir and cook for about 2 minutes, or until all sauce is absorbed, to caramelize the sprouts. Serve hot.
Serves 2–4 as a side dish. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 10–15 minutes.