1 pound beets with greens attached
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Wedge of fresh Parmesan cheese
- Cut off the beet greens and reserve. Scrub the beets.
- Using a knife or mandoline, cut the beets into paper-thin slices. Place them in a large bowl and toss with the oil, lemon juice, and salt. Set aside.
- Trim the stems from the greens and discard. Wash the leaves.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a skillet, and add the greens. Blanch until wilted and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, bring the vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 3–4 minutes. Set aside.
- Divide the greens among 4 plates. Top them with the sliced beets and drizzle with the balsamic reduction. Garnish with Parmesan shavings.
Serves 4. Prep time, 10–15 minutes; cook time, 10–15 minutes.