Courtesy of Capay Valley Farm Shop
1 bunch beets, greens removed
2 navel oranges
1 bunch arugula, trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces
⅓ medium red onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup chopped walnuts, optional
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
½ tablespoon honey
- In large saucepan, cover whole beets with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until just tender.
- When cooked, run beets under cold water to cool, then slip off peels.
- Slice in half, then in half-moons.
- Peel the oranges and thinly slice in rounds from end to end.
- In a jar or other container with tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar or lemon juice, mustard, and honey.
- Pour dressing over beets, onions, and oranges. If preparing ahead, allow to stand up to 24 hours before adding arugula and walnuts. If serving immediately, combine all ingredients with arugula and walnuts in a large bowl and toss.
Serves 3–4. Prep time, 1 hour.
Cook’s note: This recipe is also excellent with the addition of shredded apples or a handful of raisins. If you prepare ahead of time, let the raisins marinate in the dressing along with the beets, oranges, and onions.